Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Closed for Business

The sewing machine is officially closed for business until after our Disney trip. Yahoo! I can breathe a big sigh of relief, but not without feeling the stress headache that came upon me about an hour ago.

Yes, all of the shorts have been sewn. Still need to do the elastic in 2 pairs of them. (The reason why I have the stress headache.)
Yes, all machine-sewn shirts are complete.
I still have 2 shirts to hand sew and I am planning to do those on the way to Orlando.


Reason for the stress headache~I don't want to rehash all of the gory details, but I was sewing the elastic into the 3rd pair of shorts. Basically, the machine started spazzing out and I couldn't get it to work. Yes, perfect timing, right? Instead of freaking (like I typically would do), I knew I had to figure out the problem on my own. Bill wouldn't have been any help, even though I wanted to call to him so many times. (He knows less about sewing and machines than me.) After my investigation (i.e. taking things apart and cutting the elastic out of the machine), I figured out that my needle was bent and couldn't come up. I ended up having to break the needle with scissors. Of course, part of it fell into the bottom of the sewing machine. And I'll be honest, it's still there. Please tell me if that is a major no-no. After cutting the needle in two places, I was able to raise it so that I could remove the stubby end. Thankfully, my machine came with a few extra needles, so I was able to attach a new one. While holding my breath, I turned the machine back on and attempted to sew. It worked!!!!! Yea!!!

So, for the last two pairs of shorts, I am going to hand sew the elastic. And, you know, I will most likely hand sew the elastic for a long time.

I will post pictures of Will in the outfits from our trip. Don't think I'm going to have time to do it before then.

**We still have a busy week ahead. Tomorrow, I'm going to the big sale at Tricia's Baby Station and hoping to find some deals on summer outfits for Will. (Not that he needs anymore, considering he already has almost 10 jon-jons and a few 2 piece sets.) Then, I've got some God and girl time at Bible Study. Can't wait for that!

No comments: